Crossed Crocodiles

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Studying mercenaries

Blackwater mercenary in New Orleans

Chatham House held a discussion of private military and security companies in January. You can read the report in pdf form here: Chatham House International Law Discussion Group: Private Military and Security Companies - PDF.

And the Miskolc Journal of International Law, from Miskolc University in Hungary, just published this article:

Károly VÉGH: ‘Warriors for Hire?’ – Private military contractors and the international law of armed conflicts _
__
the article in pdf format

These articles discuss the legal definition of mercenaries, the inadequacies of the definition, and related legal issues.


You can read my article on mercenaries in Africa over at the African Loft: The Rising Mercenary Industry and AFRICOM.

*


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Hello Crossed Crocodiles, I came across your writings from a link on The Strategist’s blog. You're AfricanLoft post on mercenaries and AFRICOM was excellent. That is personally relevant topic for me.

    On the topic of this post, from what I've been told, Posse Comitatus has no bearing on PMC work. With "homeland security" blurring the lines between law enforcement and military, I see this being an important issue.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:34 PM, February 10, 2008  

  • Hi john, Welcome, and thank you for your kind words. Mostly I've been looking at the use of mercenaries in Africa, although I've been aware of the increasing use in the US. But I have not seen much discussion of posse comitatus. I have thought it odd, but also thought I may not be looking in the right places. There is a rather clear and concise article I found from the Washington University Law Quarterly: THE POSSE COMITATUS ACT: A PRINCIPLE IN NEED OF RENEWAL, which links a lot of sources. It seems just another protection in the US Constitution the Bush people want to undermine and destroy.
    I think you are correct that this is a very important issue.

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 11:02 PM, February 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home