The Rising Mercenary Industry and AFRICOM

Over at the African Loft I have a new article up on The Rising Mercenary Industry and AFRICOM. The Bush administration has created a huge industry of military and intelligence contractors. They are already operating in Africa, and looking to Africa for their next contracts. Drop by and give it a read.


3 Comments:
Great post XCrocs. I thought that your comment about the way AFRICOM could 'outsource' some of its operations to PMCs was particularly interesting.
By
Anonymous, at 3:41 AM, February 03, 2008
great start ;-)
also worth exploring is what the ongoing recruitment/employment of africans by private security firms to fill primarily guard & service positions in iraq -- heavy on ugandans, from what my initial research turned up -- portends for africa's future & the PMCs.
i spent one evening last october starting to trace out a story about SOC-SMG getting kicked out of namibia for hiring "Namibian mercenaries to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan" here (though it sounds like the hirees in that case, and others, were not actually to be employed for waging battle).
a sentence from one of the articles - "Analysts said Africa, because of its experience in peace-keeping efforts, had become a breeding ground for mercenaries and mercenary activities."
that mix of [1] a push for the privatization of energy sectors on the continent, [2] the increased outsourcing of & reliance on privatized security operations to provide capacity support, and [3] a large resource pool to hire from, will feature into the narrative at some point.
By
Anonymous, at 11:28 PM, February 03, 2008
Kotare, Thank you for your generous remarks. That was a difficult article to put together. It is nice to have it appreciated. Also, it is always pleasant to have you drop by.
b real, As I say, it is very nice to have the work appreciated. I went and looked at your Namibia links but was not able to read all of them today. I'll go back to take another look. It seems to me the role of mercenaries, PMCs or PSCs, as corporate employees and corporate agents is where things are likely to get particularly ugly. Although they are ugly enough already. What the ISS is doing is a much needed first step. There is not much hope of improvement in the US under Bush. I hope we can get a bit of change in the next administration. I gather about 50-70% of US intelligence work is currently outsourced, and that the president's PDB should probably be festooned with corporate logos like a NASCAR car.
By
Crossed Crocodiles, at 12:55 AM, February 05, 2008
Post a Comment
<< Home