Crossed Crocodiles

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Mangos, elections, and strange deaths

Woman harvesting mangos, taken from Farm Acquisition and Management Consultants in Ghana, a site that encourages Ghanaians abroad to invest in mango farming. I know nothing about the company, but I like the picture.

I am heartsick over what is happening in Kenya. The vast numbers of people queuing to vote was quite inspiring. There was obviously a huge desire for change, and a huge desire for participatory democracy. I had hoped the returns would be counted with some semblance of honesty.

Abba Mahmood wrote about Nigeria that Yar'Adua presidency is:

. . . signaling the retirement of a whole generation of the leadership . . . both civilian and military, who owe their starting point in the 1960s. They have been over-recycled. They are tired but they don't want to retire. How they take their loss of influence will have profound effect on the nation's polity.


Many other countries are facing similar leadership challenges, and inevitable change. The peaceful turnover of power is one of the most difficult things for any country to accomplish. It looks like President Kibaki has failed this critical test of his leadership, with devastating effect on the country.


In a odd piece of news the AP reports, reproduced at GhanaWeb, two US sailors from the USS Fort McHenry, also called the African Partnership Station, have been found dead in a hotel room in Tema. I find it impossible to guess what happened. There is crime in Ghana, but mostly it is a safe place to be. So what was going on?

Update Jan. 3: WASHINGTON (CNN) --
Two U.S. sailors who were found dead in a Ghana hotel room may have died of alcohol poisoning, a Navy official told CNN on Wednesday.

There were no signs of foul play in the incident, said the Navy official, who asked not to be identified due to the ongoing investigation.

An unidentified naval official told The Associated Press that the two were among a trio of sailors who checked in at La Palm Beach Hotel in the capital of Accra on December 31 "and on the next day, the third sailor found the two dead in their rooms and duly reported this to the hotel authorities."

The official told AP there was no evidence of a robbery or an attack on the sailors.
. . .
Although preliminary indications point to the possibility the sailors drank a lethal amount of alcohol, the official said the Navy is awaiting toxicology test results before determining cause of death.



And, because I would like to begin the year on a positive note, I included the handsome picture above of the woman harvesting mangos. An article at GhanaWeb titled Mango day celebrations encourages Ghanaians to create a mango holiday, and to grow and invest in mangos.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

  • you beat me to the story on the two deaths - i saw a brief reuters writeup that didn't provide any more detail than your link.

    only a guess, but i'd lean toward either drug-related OD or suicides, assuming they died alone in their room.

    skipping to AFRICOM -- caught the following letter to the editor in a virginia paper wherein the writer accuses danny glover and nicole lee of disseminating misinformation as he then reels off slick AFRICOM PR but, alas, then fails to identify his own occupation and bias.

    Mission of AFRICOM misconstrued in op-ed

    signed by Duncan Lang, who just happens to be the "Africa Desk Officer at Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology & Logistics)"

    you'd think that would be kind of an important thing to mention, right?

    haven't tried this yet, just another guess here, but one could probably follow around places where that "say no to AFRICOM" commentary was published & uncover similiar responses.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 PM, January 02, 2008  

  • They were poisoned. The third sailor is in critical condition vomiting blood.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 PM, January 02, 2008  

  • Mr. Lang is a bit disingenuous it seems, not to mention a damned liar. I'm sure you are correct about other plants like him around the web.

    You probably saw the updated info on the sailors who died in Ghana and it looks like you are correct, drink, or drink and drugs. I sort of wondered about that, but I think 2 people dying together at the same time, of drinking or drugging too much, is unusual, though certainly not impossible, unless it is double suicide, which didn't occur to me.

    Meanwhile the APS is back in Ghana partnering away. I'll have to write something about that in the next few days.

    I went over to MofA and read your notes on Kenya, which were, as always, interesting and informative. I read some things today about Odinga, and his ties to oil/mercenary/gemstone interests. Google <"tony buckingham" kenya> and a number of things pop up, with a number of axes to grind. That is not really too surprising considering the level of corruption in Kenya that has been going on a long time. I don't know a lot about Kenya, although you don't have to know much to see the election was stolen. And the US has certainly put its foot in things. It is hard for me to tell how much is just plain stupidity, and how much is determined and deliberate stupidity.

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 10:13 PM, January 02, 2008  

  • thanks for the tip on buckingham. i'd never read too far into odinga's story. just kinda watched things out of the corner of my eye during the run-up to the election, but a few items stuck out here & there, like stmts from the us ambassador & then salim lone mentioning back in april that odinga claimed to have info that the u.s. promised kibaki that if he went along w/ the somalia deal they'd support his re-election.

    crazy stuff. immediately reminded me of ethiopia's election when they started delaying the announcements.

    senseless deaths. hopefully something positive comes out of it all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 AM, January 03, 2008  

  • Anonymous, It strikes me as highly irresponsible rumour mongering to make a statement saying people were poisoned without sourcing it. So far there is nothing to indicate your suspicions are correct. There are two stories out today:
    Deaths of US Navy Sailors Remain a Mystery
    which states:

    The bodies will be flown to Germany for toxicology tests, but the U.S. Navy does NOT suspect foul play.
    . . .
    "There's no immediate evidence" of foul play, Lt. Patrick Foughty, a spokesman for the 6th Fleet in Naples, Italy, told a newspaper.

    and
    2 US sailors die in hotel: CID, foreign investigators finding clues to mystery
    DCOP Adu-Poku said the US Embassy had flown in an investigator from Italy to work in collaboration with the CID in finding clues to the deaths.

    He said the bodies, which were currently at the Police Hospital morgue, would be flown to Germany for postmortem to help establish the cause of death.

    He explained that US Embassy officials said the US had modern facilities in Germany to help undertake a thorough post-mortem analysis.

    Consequently, he said, a Ghanaian pathologist and an investigator would accompany the bodies, which were expected to be flown to Germany today.

    DCOP Adu-Poku said the third US sailor who was revived at the 37 military hospital had been discharged and was assisting in investigations.

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 10:36 AM, January 03, 2008  

  • b real, I thought this was rather interesting. Regarding your comment:
    skipping to AFRICOM -- caught the following letter to the editor in a virginia paper wherein the writer accuses danny glover and nicole lee of disseminating misinformation as he then reels off slick AFRICOM PR but, alas, then fails to identify his own occupation and bias.

    Mission of AFRICOM misconstrued in op-ed

    signed by Duncan Lang, who just happens to be the "Africa Desk Officer at Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology & Logistics)"

    you'd think that would be kind of an important thing to mention, right?


    I had an email discussion with a friend in the pr business who, touching on this, wrote:
    note - this is supposed to be a big no-no in our industry and pr blogs talk about it all the time

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 11:26 PM, January 03, 2008  

  • Anonymous, Thanks for the note, I'll continue to watch the case.

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 12:59 AM, January 04, 2008  

  • On the two US sailors who died in Accra, a comment thread on GhanaWeb said they died from drinking akpeteshie. The rest of thread is just political insults, and contains no information.

    Akpeteshie (local gin) is distilled from fermented palm wine or sugar-cane juice, and requiring a simple apparatus of two tins (usually four-gallon kerosene tins) and copper tubing. The standardized alcohol strength of akpeteshie today is between 40 and 50% by volume. Palm wine contains between 3 and 5% of alcohol by volume.

    There is also this account from the blog of Albert Salia, a journalist reporting in Accra.

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 10:14 AM, January 04, 2008  

  • News story link on one of sailors: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/01/04/navy0104.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM, January 04, 2008  

  • A story regarding the lacing of akpeteshie with hemp in ghana

    http://www.myjoyonline.com/news/200708/8064.asp

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:51 PM, January 04, 2008  

  • Anonymous, I was thinking about this last night, and I think I owe you an apology. You are obviously a good hearted person who cares about the people involved, and their loss is a sad and dreadful loss.

    On the day you first wrote someone had been fussing at me about Obama being a Muslim, based on information in anonymous emails. I haven't decided which candidate I support, but that email business strikes me as a particularly cheap and nasty form of negative ad. So I was a bit touchy about unsourced assertions.

    I have a soft spot for the US Navy. Two of my closest friends, and the father of one of them served in the Navy. And I have a couple of younger relatives in other branches of the service.

    I hope they find out what really happened to those men in Ghana. I'll continue to follow the case, and will post anything definitive that I find out. So far what I have seen today does not add anything new.

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 12:12 AM, January 06, 2008  

  • Anonymous, Thank you for your nice note. Here is the link you sent for the latest on the investigation:
    http://www.ghananewstoday.com/gnt_cn_detailb.cfm?tblNewsCatID=62&tblNewsID=609
    If you learn anything new please let me know. And I'll post anything new that I learn.

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 5:09 PM, January 07, 2008  

  • Still no further news on the sailors.

    I meant to add this earlier, but I also read a report back in January from Joy Online radio which contained this:

    While the bodies are in Germany undergoing autopsy, Police sources have revealed that the two sailors might have died from hunger after heavily drinking alcohol on empty stomachs, a phenomenon refered to as "nkitin nkitin” in Akan language.

    By Blogger Crossed Crocodiles, at 8:21 PM, March 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home